Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 4 and the search for bicycle repairs

A slow start to the day after the hot and long previous days effort. Rain in the forecast as well so could be a tough day ahead.

After some time making more adjustments to the back wheel and ringing around to find if there were bike shops in Grand Falls or Gander I finally headed out. It was a short and relatively flat ride to Grand Falls and I arrived at the same time as the rain.

Some time running down leads but no luck with any bicycle support. I visited with my uncle long enough for the rain to clear.

With much of the day done time wise I decided I still needed some more miles under my wheels and set off for Bishop Falls..


The largest of the old railway bridges, at Bishops Falls.

Ready to ride, the longest crossing of the Trailway

Gander (79 kms) looked like a very late night, some re-planning was needed on route.
I decided on arriving in Norris Arm that some solid nourishment, and rest, was the better choice. I sought refuge in a quaint outport cottage. As picture post card pretty as it was, the 5 foot 4 inches ceilings posed a big problem I was to find out later that night. A late night ablution stop resulting in substantial cranial compaction!

How I managed half asleep to get down the stairs I don't know but the final doorway proved my undoing and I was wide awake after coming up solid on the door frame, ouch!


The doorway is nearest in the photo, but note how it compares with the height of the fridge! A mere 5-6 inches more.
Day 4 ended with decent 80 kms done but my headaches continued. The flaky back wheel still in the back of my mind (and the large lump on my head).

Elevation profile for the day. Mostly downhill to the ocean at Norris Arm:

Down the Exploits River
Day 4 and a short day riding with rain and hunting for repairs eating into the day:

Badger to Norris Arm - 80 kms


Continued: Link to Day 5 of the Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment